Super Bowl 2021 TB12’s career in detail
Thomas Edwards Patrick Brady earned his place in the NFL Olympus, perhaps in the position of honor, by achieving the 28-3 comeback against the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI. Fifth ring, more than any other player in the most important position, that of quarterback, and still added another title two years later to leave behind any additional arguments.
Brady is the GOAT, hardly anyone will take away that distinction, although Patrick Mahomes can start presenting his credentials if he gets his second championship on Sunday, but the TB12 race also has a peculiar contradiction: he wasn’t the best quarterback in the league for much of that time.
It will sound contradictory, but not for that it is less true. Tom Brady has three MVP awards and three All Pro dream team appearances. Aaron Rodgers will likely tie him in both categories for what he did in 2020, while Peyton Manning had seven All Pro and five MVPs. Better seasons at the end than Brady, who was perhaps the choice to command a team if he needed to win the game in the last series, but who for 16 of its 19 seasons (the 20th, the 2008 one, doesn’t really count because the crusader was broken in the first half of the first game of the season) as a starter, he was not the best quarterback in the league in the 16 regular-season games. And the statistics show it.
He only had three seasons being the best in the NFL in his position. The first, the near-perfect season of 2007, when he set TD passing and yardage records by winning all 16 regular-season games. In 2010 he led one of the best offenses in history, only to lose in the divisional round to the Jets of Mark Sanchez. Lastly, in 2017, when Nick Foles’ Eagles denied him the Super Bowl. The GOAT was not immune to the curse of the MVP.
Analyzing the table, Brady had a clear learning curve and his last years in New England were not the best in statistics, but he managed to take a step forward and raise his level at the right time, when it counts most: in the Playoffs. In that sense, he was much more of a Bill Russell, a lord of the rings in the NBA, than a stat hoarder a la Wilt Chamberlain.
In 2020 it was the same. Aaron Rodgers finished with better numbers and will surely be the MVP; Patrick Mahomes is considered the best talent in the league, but Brady still has a chance of winning his seventh championship and first with Tampa Bay.
- Temporada 2001: Kurt Warner | Kurt Warner
- Temporada 2002: Rich Gannon | Rich Gannon
- Temporada 2003: Peyton Manning | Peyton Manning, Steve McNair
- Temporada 2004: Peyton Manning | Peyton Manning
- Temporada 2005: Peyton Manning | Shaun Alexander
- Temporada 2006: Drew Brees | LaDainian Tomlinson
- Season 2007: Tom Brady | Tom Brady
- Temporada 2008: Peyton Manning | Peyton Manning
- Temporada 2009: Peyton Manning | Peyton Manning
- Season 2010: Tom Brady | Tom Brady
- Season 2011: Aaron Rodgers | Aaron Rodgers
- Temporada 2012: Peyton Manning | Adrian Peterson
- Temporada 2013: Peyton Manning | Peyton Manning
- 2014 Season: Aaron Rodgers | Aaron Rodgers
- 2015 Season: Cam Newton | Cam Newton
- Temporada 2016: Matt Ryan | Matt Ryan
- Season 2017: Tom Brady | Tom Brady
- Season 2018: Patrick Mahomes | Patrick Mahomes
- Temporada 2019: Lamar Jackson | Lamar Jackson
- 2020 season: Aaron Rodgers | Aaron Rodgers
– When and where is the Super Bowl?
– Chiefs vs Buccaneers, the most expensive Super Bowl in history
– Despite the pandemic, there will be fans at the Super Bowl
– Who is the favorite to win the Super Bowl?
– The Weeknd will be the Super Bowl halftime show